SMS Marketing For The Equestrian Sector
Those who don’t have much to do with horses in their daily lives are often surprised to learn that equestrianism is a big industry in the UK. Although it is very difficult to obtain accurate figures on how many horses, ponies and donkeys reside in the UK, the British Equestrian Trade Association’s findings from their National Equestrian Survey 2015 put the economic value of the equestrian sector at £4.3 billion of consumer spending across a wide range of goods and services, with the average spend per horse during the same year at £3600. It is an incredibly varied industry encompassing all types of businesses from sole traders making a living in remote areas to multinational companies. Their customer base typically tends to be busy people who lead largely outdoor lifestyles so the obvious and most effective means of communicating with them is by mobile phone, which according to Ofcom, 93% of UK adults possess. Yet very few equestrian businesses appear to be utilising SMS text messaging marketing. So how could businesses in this sector benefit from this method of marketing?
SMS Marketing for Equestrian Services:
Ask anyone who owns or keeps horses why they do it and most will explain that they are far more than just an investment, it’s a lifestyle choice. For many leisure owners, their horse and ponies are considered part of their family and for the competitive rider they are an absolutely vital sports partner. Keeping our equine friends in the best condition requires regular and routine appointments with various equestrian healthcare and wellbeing professionals including farriers, equine dentists, veterinarians, equine chiropractors, saddle fitters, behavioural specialists, trainers and many more.
Coordinating the necessary appointments sometimes requires as much organisation as managing your own children’s schedules and when the majority of leisure horse owners are also juggling work and family commitments, it is common that due dates get forgotten. However leaving equine health checks for longer than due not only risks their well-being but often have knock-on effects for horse and owner such as limiting the horse’s capability and the owner gaining unwanted additional expenses.
When professional services are required, most horse owners and keepers make the first contact with their providers to arrange appointments. As most businesses will keep records of their clients, horses and treatments, why not use this information as an opportunity to increase bookings, revenue and customer service by contacting customers first instead? Here are some ideas for how SMS marketing could benefit equine healthcare and wellbeing businesses:
- Optimise repeat bookings by texting clients to remind them when routine examinations and treatments are becoming due in the next 2-4 weeks.
- Promote great customer service by issuing friendly reminders of their horse health needs and inviting customers to make appointments.
- Increase customer retention and satisfaction rates by encouraging them to return at the appropriate times rather than forgetting and having to find another provider at short notice because you are fully booked.
- Reduce wasted time and expense caused by customer no-shows by texting customers a confirmation message 24-48 hours before a booked appointment.
- Improve accessibility to your services by offering a simple means to book appointments by text.
- Advertise other services that you might offer through texting relevant, targeted care and wellbeing tips for owners/keepers.
SMS Marketing for Equestrian Goods:
Horses need equipment, feed, housing and bedding – their riders need the appropriate clothing and what is required at any point largely depends on the time of the year, although this industry is definitely not immune from fashion trends either. Stocking goods subject to seasonal fluctuations in demand is always tricky to get right but the use of text messaging to send discounts and offers to regular customers can help to shift out-of-season surplus stock and push new ranges coming in. Certainly, in general retail, marketing by SMS has proved to be very effective with customers as around 98% of text messages are opened compared to around 20% of emails. Here are some SMS text message promotion ideas:
- Send discount codes on winter items in mid/late summer. Many horse owners like to be prepared and will appreciate the incentive. Same with summer items in mid/late winter.
- Use the tried and trusted method of texting offers on paydays. Many customers are on tight budgets and payday is often the only time they can afford the little extras for them and their horse.
- Update customers on new ranges and give them ‘first pick’ with exclusive offers to tap into those who like to have the latest must-have items.
- Start a loyalty scheme operated via text message. Shoppers like to be rewarded for their continuing custom.
- Offer bulk buy discounts. Many people own or keep more than one horse, pony or donkey or they want to club together with other owners to take advantage of better prices.
SMS Marketing for Equestrian Events:
There is a huge variety of sports involving horses within the UK with all sizes and levels of events regularly held across the country all year round. Although bigger sponsored events are usually well advertised, word of mouth and informal local advertising still prevail as a source of attracting entrants for small or localised equestrian events. Because this information can be incohesive or limited, it often does not reach the right potential market. Whatever the show size or budget, SMS text message marketing is a cost-effective way for organisers to attract attention and can be used to:
- Provide details of upcoming dates to competitors, spectators and traders to increase footfall.
- Reach out to potential sponsors and partners.
- Send out results such as times/points/placings to competitors so they have a record.
- Request feedback from entrants and visitors for ideas on how to improve the next event.
Whatever your link to the equestrian industry may be, these are just some of the ideas where SMS marketing could promote or benefit your business. They are also easily transferable or adaptable to non-equestrian businesses, especially the domestic pet care sector. Pet ownership is an even bigger industry than equestrianism, where according to the Telegraph, spending on domestic pets in the UK in 2015 surpassed £7 billion. That’s a lot of potential customers, all you need is an effective way to reach them.
Fastsms are your ideal partner to take your equestrian business to the next level with SMS Marketing. We are an award winning company offering some of the UK’s lowest prices on bulk business SMS packages, supported by our exceptional customer services.
If you have any questions about how bulk SMS can work for you, drop us a line on 0800 954 5305 now and we’ll be happy to connect you to an expert in your field.
Marketing messages, whether in print or electronic have many parts to them. In the beginning there’s the hook that entices someone to continue reading, and near the end is the call to action. That’s where you make it clear what you want someone to do after reading the message. There are many parts in between these two, but these are, arguably, the two most important.
When you think about your SMS marketing campaigns would you label them as fun? Is there any aspect of your SMS marketing or loyalty program that you think customers would call fun? If so, you're going to love what you read in this blog. If not, then you need to read this blog. It turns out that a little bit of fun and games can keep your customers more engaged – and more loyal.
Are you looking to grow your business? Get more customers? Have larger profits? Of course you are. Isn't every business looking to improve, grow and generate more sales? More and more businesses are realising how SMS messaging can help them do all those things. But it's nice to have some facts to back up what most people seem to assume is true.
How many retailers use SMS messaging? According to a recent survey, not that many. And that isn’t the only surprising result shared in the survey conducted by Internet Retailer. Companies large and small know how useful SMS can be. Read on to see why now is the perfect time to start.
Uncertain economic times and an ever-extending holiday retail season is apparently making Brits less excited about the “usual” sales. But don’t worry, find out how SMS marketing can help you boost sales even in the face of retail fatigue.
Here's some ideas on what you can do to help your SMS campaigns to do better. Use the following checklist to see if you’re using all your possible channels.
Mobile marketing offers an unprecedented access to your customers virtually any time, anywhere. This is particularly true for SMS marketing because it is “always on”. Customers don’t have to be surfing the web, or using an app to receive messages. Instead, they see the marketing messages right alongside ones from their friends and family.
Last year footfalls for some high street shops dropped during the Black Friday weekend. Even though the UK spent a record breaking £1.1B, some saw their in-store sales slump. Find out the three things retailers need to do to get customers to come back.
One of the greatest advantages of SMS marketing is how fast it is. You might be thinking I'm talking about the almost instantaneous delivery rates, or how quick it is to write a message and send it to your entire list - but this time we're talking about how fast you can get results.