SMS Alerts! SMS Messaging for The IT Industry
The life of an IT administrator or manager is a constant battle with the equipment and software they manage. Something always fails, usually at the most inopportune moment. If the issue isn’t fixed in a reasonable time, there are usually consequences in one form or another.
So how can you use SMS alerts to make sure your IT team is always aware of issues and the need to fix them quickly?
Use SMS messaging to notify staff immediately when a problem occurs.
Here are a few examples of how you can use it to improve response times, reduce costs, and impacts of downtime:
- Hardware failures – When a storage device, network router, or server fails no one is happy. Even when you’re running management software that will immediately re-provision the downed resource, someone still needs to come in and fix the broken one. If the repair isn’t made quickly, the remaining systems could become stressed.
- Security breaches – If there’s one issue that needs to be addressed immediately it’s security. Whether it is a new vulnerability that needs to be patched or an active hacking attempt, your system can notify the appropriate person via SMS alerts.
- Client technical issues or changes – IT service providers work hard to keep their infrastructure up and running for their client bases. Since they are providing a service it’s important to be responsive to client requests and issues. SMS messaging can be a great way to contact support for immediate assistance, especially after hours.
- Power outages or disasters – A loss of power or disaster is probably one of the most stressful times for IT staff. Depending on the types of disaster recovery options in place, there could be a whirlwind of activity to get the systems back up in a new location. The faster the staff gets the message, the faster the recovery can be.
- Staff rostering – If you have a rota on “on call” engineers or technicians on standby to deal with problems you can use SMS to bring problems to their attention, even if they are not sat at their computer. you can also create groups of numbers so teams can be informed as well as individuals.
IT departments can easily set up message services for all these situations and any other that requires immediate notification. You have a person or call centre send the messages, or integrate directly into applications using an SMS API.
We have many customers using our SMS API for IT support and monitoring. To find out more, contact us via email, chat, phone or by using the contact form below. If you have an interesting use for SMS alerts please share it with us.
Last year, over 1 billion prescription items were dispensed in England. There were, on average, 19 prescription items per person in England, almost half the population is taking prescription medications. It's safe to assume some people are finding it hard to keep track, enter SMS.
Is there such a thing as a "perfect" SMS message? Yes, there is, but there isn't just one example of a perfect message. There are so many uses for SMS messages that each of them would have their own perfect example. How many different types are there? This infographic includes a short list of some types.
This SMS messaging case study explains how a student at the University of West England used the fastsms API in an experimental project aiming to improve vehicle safety. The post is Q&A session between Thomas West, the student, and fastsms, relating how the project unfolded.
Text messages are fast, secure, subtle, simple and reliable - and those aren’t the only qualities they have to offer. Preferable to other forms of communication in many circumstances, they can prove to be a highly useful addition to a police force’s armoury.
The Internet opened up mass communication in ways no one ever imagined it could. But there’s also another trend leveraging today’s communication technology: Communicating with just one person via applications. According to Transparency Market Research, the A2P SMS market will be worth over £45B in just a few years.
With the continued rise of different and more diverse technologies in the social and mobile web, it would be easy to dismiss the potential benefits of SMS marketing - and that’s exactly the reason you shouldn’t. An SMS is the unexpected visit of a familiar friend, and there’s one demographic that embraces an old trusted ally in this new, noisy digital world more than anyone else: the millennials.
Hotel guests use review site ratings like TripAdvisor to make decisions about where they’ll stay. If your hotel doesn’t rate well, you’re in trouble. Find out how you can get more positive reviews when you use SMS messaging to communicate with guests.
If there's one industry that's often assumed to be cold and impersonal, it's the financial industry. It's all about numbers and money, not about the people who have accounts, or need help with enquiries. The reputation may or may not be deserved, but there is a way to combat it: by making customers, investors, or clients feel like you care.
The lure of quick, easy and cheap travel arrangements online has revolutionised the way people find and book travel. Travel agents offer so much more than search, click and book, but still find themselves facing competition from online booking. But none of the major online booking sites can offer the personalised service an agent does.