How Clubs Can Benefit from Using Text Messaging
My son has been taking lessons for just over a year at a local karate club. Recently, I decided it was time to try, too. I set up my first private lesson (all first lessons are private), and they asked for my mobile number. It turns out they send text message reminders 24 hours before each appointment. They are a small club with around two hundred students, and less than ten instructors. On average they get maybe 3-5 new students per month.
Though a parent of a student, I hadn’t received any text messages from them. The club communicates via email and Facebook primarily, so I was surprised to hear they had begun using text messaging.
But I shouldn’t have been. Fastsms has customers of all sizes and from all sorts of disciplines. Any organisation that needs timely, central, or automatic communication can benefit from its services. Still, I wanted to understand the reasons why my little karate club had begun using text messaging. Here’s what they told me:
- It saves them time and aggravation. Like me, all new students are provided with a text message reminder the day before their appointment. The message allows them to respond if they need to cancel or reschedule which has reduced the number of no-show lessons. The instructors are especially happy about this because if the new student cancels, they get a text message saying they no longer need to come to the studio for that appointment. Instructors get back time that would have been wasted, and the students get the friendly reminder to confirm or cancel the appointment. It makes things easier and better for everyone.
- It’s convenient for the new student to take action. Since the new student can respond directly to the text, it’s very convenient for them to cancel. Maybe they changed their mind and don’t want to go, but would otherwise be embarrassed to call and cancel. Similarly it is easy for them to let the studio know they need to reschedule if they were unable to make it.
- Text messaging is fast and reliable. The text messages arrive within seconds of being sent. They are easy to read even in places or circumstances where you can’t answer the phone or check email. And SMS messaging is much more reliable than email. Internet gremlins eat emails regularly, or throw them into spam folders when they shouldn’t. But even if an email is delivered correctly, and in a timely fashion, people don’t always check their emails. And checking it on the go usually requires a smartphone. According to eMarketer only about 38% of mobile users have smartphones worldwide. But every mobile user can receive a text message.
- SMS messaging works seamlessly with their scheduler. The club uses Outlook to manage their contacts and schedule. So when they create a private lesson appointment in Outlook, it automatically creates a text message for both the student and the instructor. They set the time of delivery to 24 hours before the appointment and everything is all set. The student and the instructor are both reminded to be at the studio without any other action on the part of the staff.
- If all the benefits above weren’t enough, sending text messages is cheap. Or rather it is extremely affordable for even small organisations, clubs and groups. And if you add in all the time the club previously spent managing the appointments, driving to the appointments to find a no-show, rescheduling the appointments, making follow-up calls – the list can go on – the total cost of using an SMS service is even less assuming their time has some equivalent monetary value.
So this is one example of a fairly small club or business using SMS messaging to improve the way they work and interact with each other and customers. But it can be applied to endless situations and organisations. Want to know how? Call us at 0800 954 5305 , email email@example.com or fill out the contact form below. Alternatively browse our list of SMS Solutions.
Most youth and community groups are volunteer-led, and either charitably funded or run on donations, so communications need not only to be effective, but they also have to be easy, and quick for volunteers to use, and low cost. That's where SMS comes in...
At the end of every year, people all over the country will be making resolutions to get fit, lose weight, eat healthier, or start practising yoga. In January, health club memberships will soar before mid-February when an estimated 88% of resolutions fail. SMS can help you keep more members, here's how...
SMS messaging is a popular topic. The growth of mobile has everyone jumping on board the SMS waggon and they all have something to say. I've compiled a list of five topics that I've seen written about that just aren't true, or at the very least are potentially misleading enough to be called myths. I'm going to try and offer some insight into why these myths exist and what the truth is, as I see it anyway!
What is one almost guaranteed way of getting new customers? Ask for them. Really. Studies show that 83% of satisfied customers are willing to recommend a company, product or service to their family and friends. Here's how you can use SMS to simplify and improve your referral marketing.
People have their mobiles within arm’s reach about 22 hours of every day. That means even while they are sleeping! It makes sense then, that if you want to remind someone of an important event (an appointment with your small business for example) you should use their mobile.
Most major sports teams in the UK and US already know the power of SMS for engaging fans via scores, stats and other data. But the power of SMS can extend far beyond the world of the major leagues. SMS is ideal, not only for communicating with participants but to coordinate teams of volunteers across the event.
You’re all excited about the number of new members you have in your health club thanks to your latest member drive. And you want to do everything you can to help them reach their goals and stay a member for a long time. Here's a quick few steps to get you up and running as quickly as possible.
Statistics show that a huge 98% of text messages are opened within the first fifteen minutes of being received, so it's little wonder that sports organisations and fitness centres have been looking to take advantage of a potentially lucrative market.
In the 21st century, it’s easy to lose track of all the technology needed to make you the biggest profit and improve your reputation. With our simple SMS services, you can drag your business into the modern age with relative ease, reducing missed appointments and increasing your bottom line.