SMS Marketing for Tradespeople
The construction industry is a massive contributor to the UK’s economy, so much so it is often used as an illustrative measure of the health of the country’s economy. However, talk about the construction industry to the average person and they will think of big building projects like civil engineering and housing estates. The reality is the construction industry encompasses all the services required in both building and maintaining housing and the skilled people that supply these services. As a highly competitive sector where time and money are often the biggest challenges, it makes sense to use SMS Marketing as the primary means of communication with customers. Read on to learn more.
Time is Money
We all need somewhere to live and whether you rent or own your home, domestic situations frequently arise where a skilled person is required to deal with electrics, plumbing, plastering, building, carpentry, carpet laying… you name the job, there will be a tradesperson near you who specialises in it. These essential yet often overlooked hard working sole traders and small businesses all face the same pressures as any other business including how to attract and retain more customers.
Many rely on either local advertising and/or the proven method of steadily building their reputation by word-of-mouth but this is not always enough. Sometimes clearer marketing strategies are needed but for sole traders and very small businesses providing services, their time and money are considerably constrained. Email, postal and other advertising campaigns tend to be dismissed as too time-consuming and expensive to set up, especially when their precious time and money needs to be spent on their immediate core work and revenue source.
Most tradesmen and women are already perfectly comfortable with communicating dates, times and prices directly with their clients but not all are aware of how much more they could utilise this contact channel to increase their marketing. If you are a ‘tradie’ looking for a cost and time effective means to market your services, then consider SMS Marketing.
Benefits of SMS Marketing Compared to Other Channels:
- Direct and to the point. Because the number of characters allowed in a text message is limited, you have to get your message across concisely, unlike emails which are often too wordy, making the reader lose interest before they have got to the point.
- Unrivalled open rate. Ofcom statistics show 93% of people own a mobile phone and 98% of text messages are read within 2 minutes of receipt. In comparison, only around 20% of marketing emails are actually opened.
- Higher conversion rate. The rate at which recipients actually respond to your marketing messages is much higher with text messages, around 35%, compare that to email at just 2% and you see which is more effective.
- Reliable. While your emails may get filed in ‘spam’ or your postal flyers get lost in transit, text messages will go straight to where you send them.
- Cost effective. Depending on volume, costs can work out as little as 2.1p per text*. Click here for full pricing information.
- Time effective Texts can be adapted or personalised so you can send them to specific groups or individuals and it takes very little time to set up.
How to Use SMS Marketing With Private Customers:
- A simple means to book and confirm jobs.
- Quickly arrange quotes and prices.
- Remind customers of already booked appointments closer to the date/time to ensure they are present.
- Inform customers of materials ordered or required.
- Encourage return custom by reminding customers when routine inspections or maintenance work becomes due, such as gas boiler servicing.
- Update customers with brief work progress reports or notices of completion.
- Give clear instructions for householder care or checks once the job is completed.
- Receive and answer customer questions quickly wherever you are.
- Send payment requests or overdue reminders.
- Send seasonal reminders of maintenance tips at appropriate times of the year. For example: a plumber might choose to send information about protecting pipework during the winter.
- Provide offers or discounts for jobs. This could be tied in with tips or recommended maintenance ideas to increase enquiries and bookings.
- Request customer feedback.
- Availability to use contact groups to send multiple recipients the same message. For example: confirming job dates with both landlords and tenants.
Of course, running a business providing services means you are dealing not just with private customers but with a variety of individuals and other organisations on a daily basis. Text messaging also allows tradespeople to communicate quickly and effectively with contractors, sub-contractors and employees to arrange jobs, locations, prices and more. But as a tradesperson, you probably already know that and have been doing it for years because it’s the quickest way to organise them all.
What you might not have realised is that with an integrated solution such as that offered by Fastsms, it is now easier than ever to seamlessly join everything up and manage your SMS Marketing online, integrating it with your email inbox or using the cloud-based platform to manage messages and replies, as well as access all important data. Click here to learn more about sending and receiving messages.
For larger or growing companies, we also offer API integration with all the leading CRM platforms giving you incredible versatility.
Right now it is peak season for camping and caravan sites; it's the middle of summer and the school holidays have begun. Even the great British weather has been relatively kind this year so far. With what is the busiest time of the year for camping and caravanning parks, marketing strategies are often not priority, especially for the many small owner run businesses within the industry and those who are reliant on returning customers. SMS text message marketing, however, can benefit campsite and touring park operators by offering a simple, cost effective and time efficient way to reach both existing and new customers to promote your business by direct contact to their mobile phone. Read on for eight proven text message marketing and promotional ideas to help fill those final pitches.
How work based education providers can take advantage of SMS Messaging to boost attendance and reduce the time and costs associated with arranging and re-arranging training sessions. Read this article to learn how private education and training companies can benefit from simple SMS confirmations and reminders with some illustrative examples. We also briefly explore the possibilities offered by automated responses using SMS keywords in conjunction with a virtual mobile number.
Whilst some businesses still offer physical sales, many companies have an online presence as well. Whether they trade solely on the internet or maintain physical stores, it’s vital for businesses to cater for online customers. In order to increase sales and turnover, companies rely on a range of marketing methods, such as offline advertising or digital promotions. Whilst these can be effective, many businesses are overlooking the potential of SMS marketing.
You might not have run an SMS marketing campaign yourself, but you are likely to have received some form of SMS communication from a business. Whether that's a commercial brand running a competition or a healthcare provider, such as your GP or dental practice, sending you an appointment reminder. If you have run an SMS marketing campaign before, you're likely to already be aware of the effectiveness of the platform for communicating with customers, but might need help justifying your use of SMS messaging to other people or departments in your business. Here, we've listed out the key reasons SMS marketing is so effective.
One of the great advantages of SMS: it's completely trackable so you know exactly how your campaigns are engaging your opted in customers and clients. And if you’re a small business, operating in a specific geographical location, then that local knowledge can be invaluable in targeting your campaigns to a local audience.
Executed properly, SMS direct marketing is a hugely effective and successful means of building customer loyalty and improving sales. But even genuine and honest marketing companies can suffer huge damage to reputation or even break the law through simply lacking knowledge or not double-checking before releasing campaigns. Read this article to learn more about the definitions of spamming and harassment, current UK law and how to avoid simple but costly mistakes.