SMS Alerts! SMS Messaging for The IT Industry
The life of an IT administrator or manager is a constant battle with the equipment and software they manage. Something always fails, usually at the most inopportune moment. If the issue isn’t fixed in a reasonable time, there are usually consequences in one form or another.
So how can you use SMS alerts to make sure your IT team is always aware of issues and the need to fix them quickly?
Use SMS messaging to notify staff immediately when a problem occurs.
Here are a few examples of how you can use it to improve response times, reduce costs, and impacts of downtime:
- Hardware failures – When a storage device, network router, or server fails no one is happy. Even when you’re running management software that will immediately re-provision the downed resource, someone still needs to come in and fix the broken one. If the repair isn’t made quickly, the remaining systems could become stressed.
- Security breaches – If there’s one issue that needs to be addressed immediately it’s security. Whether it is a new vulnerability that needs to be patched or an active hacking attempt, your system can notify the appropriate person via SMS alerts.
- Client technical issues or changes – IT service providers work hard to keep their infrastructure up and running for their client bases. Since they are providing a service it’s important to be responsive to client requests and issues. SMS messaging can be a great way to contact support for immediate assistance, especially after hours.
- Power outages or disasters – A loss of power or disaster is probably one of the most stressful times for IT staff. Depending on the types of disaster recovery options in place, there could be a whirlwind of activity to get the systems back up in a new location. The faster the staff gets the message, the faster recovery can be.
- Staff rostering – If you have a rota on “on call” engineers or technicians on standby to deal with problems you can use SMS to bring problems to their attention, even if they are not sat at their computer. you can also create groups of numbers so teams can be informed as well as individuals.
IT departments can easily set up message services for all these situations and any other that requires immediate notification. You have a person or call centre send the messages, or integrate directly into applications using an SMS API.
We have many customers using our SMS API for IT support and monitoring. To find out more, contact us via email, chat, phone or by using the contact form below. If you have an interesting use for SMS alerts please share it with us.
If there's one industry that's often assumed to be cold and impersonal, it's the financial industry. It's all about numbers and money, not about the people who have accounts, or need help with enquiries. The reputation may or may not be deserved, but there is a way to combat it: by making customers, investors, or clients feel like you care.
Car dealerships are always looking to find new ways to market their inventory. Online marketing has become standard and some use social media. A recent study in US wanted to see if car buyers were actually using social media in the buying process or not.
In this blog I also share a story from a previous job where timekeeping was critical to the success of the company and how SMS could have helped. For any business needing to keep track of employee time and payroll, SMS is a perfect fit. This simple form of communication is so versatile, it can be used for just about anything.
Text messages are fast, secure, subtle, simple and reliable - and those aren’t the only qualities they have to offer. Preferable to other forms of communication in many circumstances, they can prove to be a highly useful addition to a police force’s armoury.
What is one almost guaranteed way of getting new customers? Ask for them. Really. Studies show that 83% of satisfied customers are willing to recommend a company, product or service to their family and friends. Here's how you can use SMS to simplify and improve your referral marketing.
Enterprises are large companies. Sometimes that means they think they should be able to do everything themselves. But when it comes to SMS messaging, building an in-house gateway is more difficult than you might think. Read why finding a good SMS service provider is a better option.
Technology has changed how companies operate in recent decades. It’s changed how employees work too. Successful companies are taking advantage of these changes, specifically mobile phones and SMS messaging. Read our blog to see five ways you can use SMS messaging in your business.
For travel agencies, SMS messaging allows you to connect with travellers on a one-to-one, or one-to-many basis, yet still be personal. How can that be? People guard their mobile numbers and only share them with the people or businesses they really want to hear from. It's their personal number after all, and they won't hand it out to just anyone.
No-shows are a serious issue in dental offices. Some surveys estimate they account for as much as 10% of appointments, resulting in thousands of pounds lost each year. Many practices send reminders via post or email, but simple appointment reminders aren't always that effective. Not only is there a loss of revenue, but other negative side effects as well.